Having just got rid of my Vodafone Brick and moved to the new technology of the Smartphone,(to me it is!) my first task was to find an android app that would be suitable for learning Morse and also be useful in Morse tests to save me lugging my laptop about at the National Hamfest.
On my search for a decent app for my Smartphone similar to “Just Learn Morse Code” and Ray G4FON’s “Koch Trainer” I came across “Morse Trainer for Android” by Wolphi W8DA. I have to admit that I gave it the full thumbs up as it was exactly what I was looking for and now I can get rid of the laptop and just carry my key, oscillator and smartphone to tests.
Below is the developers own description of this marvelous Morse App
Published on 2 Nov 2012
Learn or improve Morse code with Morse Trainer.If you are a ham radio (amateur radio) operator or just want to learn Morse code. With a lot of settings it is very comfortable to adjust Morse Trainer to your current level.
The following settings are available:
- – Frequency (200 – 2200Hz
- – Waveform (sine / triangle)
- – Fading (to reduce click at the end of a dot or dash)
- – Speed (2Wpm – 52Wpm)
- – Spacing (spacing between dots or dashes)
- – Dot-Dash Ratio (length ratio of dashes compared to dots)
- – Letter Spacing (Space between letters)
- – Word Spacing (Space between words)
- Five different learning modes are available in Morse Trainer
- – Random groups of five mode: Morse Trainer will play groups of five randomly selected letter, numbers or special characters. Those characters can be individually selected. If you want to learn just “s”,”i” and “e” just select the 3 letters and Morse Trainer will create groups of 5 with those 3 letters.
- – Real ham radio callsign mode: Morse Trainer will randomly play real amateur radio callsign from a database of 5000 callsigns which appeared in Contests over the last couple of years.
- – QSO text mode: Morse Trainer will play randomly play QSO text. The database consists of 300 different qso texts.
- – Most common English words mode: Morse Trainer will play randomly the 500 most used English words.
- – Own text mode: Enter your own text and Morse Trainer will play it over and over again.
- – Ebook mode: Text files can be loaded from SD card
Morse Trainer is priced less than the cost of a fancy coffee and it is a great app to learn and improve you CW speed away from your amateur radio station or your PC.